e-shape is a unique initiative that brings together decades of public investment in Earth Observation and in cloud capabilities into services for the decision-makers, the citizens, the industry and the researchers. It allows Europe to position itself as global force in Earth observation through leveraging Copernicus, making use of existing European capacities and improving user uptake of the data from GEO assets. EuroGEO, as Europe's contribution to the Global Earth Observation System of Systems (GEOSS), aims at bringing together Earth Observation resources in Europe.
27 cloud-based pilot applications under 7 thematic areas address societal challenges, foster entrepreneurship and support sustainable development, in alignment to the three main priorities of GEO (SDGs, Paris Agreement and Sendaï Framework).
e-shape aspires to:
- Provide significant impetus to activities that will enable and accelerate a breakthrough in the European EO sector and the downstream markets that benefit from EO services.
- Coordinate EO actions, leverage on existing European heritage benefiting from open science and link to GEO flagships and initiatives;
- Deliver concrete EO-derived benefits with and for users through a rigorous co-design;
- Implement a coordinated and comprehensive portfolio of activities with emphases on user uptake, operational services, business support and aggressive outreach strategy;
- Onboard new pilots currently being developed outside the project, providing them access to the strategic knowledge and communication channels of e-shape.