The 2019 Conference on Big Data from Space (BiDS'19) 'Turning Data into Insights', takes place on 19-21 February 2019 in Alte Kongresshalle, Munich, Germany.
Big Data from Space refers to the massive spatio-temporal Earth and Space observation data collected by a variety of sensors - ranging from ground based to space-borne - and the synergetic use of data coming from other sources and communities. This domain is currently facing sharp development with numerous new initiatives and breakthroughs from intelligent sensors' networks to data science application. These developments are empowering new approaches and applications in various and diverse domains influencing life on earth and societal aspects, from sensing cities, monitoring human settlements and urban areas to climate change and security.
The main objectives of the BiDS’19 Conference are:
• Focus on new paradigms of data intelligence addressing the entire value chain: data processing to extract information, the information analysis to gather knowledge, and knowledge transformation in value;
• Maximise the uptake and impact of multi-source space data;
• Promote the use of platforms and analytical methods to maximise the value extracted for scientific exploration and discovery, societal benefits, commercial exploitation and operational applications;
• Bring together major European actors, including research, industry, institutions, and users, to strengthen the communication and transfer of requirements, methods and technologies, and to reinforce an interdisciplinary approach;
• Promote research and applications in innovative/disruptive data analysis methods;
• Advance the upscale of new solutions from R&I to operational use (e.g. for the security domain);
• Promote cross-fertilisation with similar works in other data intensive domains (e.g. high-energy physics, microbiology, social media, etc.).
The BiDS'19 Conference is co-organised by the European Space Agency (ESA), the Joint Research Centre (JRC) of the European Commission, and the European Union Satellite Centre (SatCen).
BiDS’19 will be hosted by the German Aerospace Center (DLR) in Munich, one of the key European cities with activities focused on space and aerospace developments and applications.